Monday, April 2, 2018

Epilogue – Life after Alzheimer’s



I indicated that I would write one more blog entry in my last post, which I published almost 3 years ago.  The purpose of this blog from the beginning was:  1) to have a place for family and friends to go to keep abreast of our Alzheimer’s journey, and 2) to provide a perspective to others who want information on Early Onset Alzheimer’s from a caregiver’s point of view.  As for family and friends, since Marcia passed away there’s no reason to go to this blog anymore.  I suspect most of the 45,000 hits came from family and friends.  But I imagine nearly all of those who have visited and read this blog since Marcia passed away fall into the second camp.  The sad reality is that every day more people are diagnosed with Early Onset Alzheimer’s and it is my hope that this blog has and will provide some assistance to others who enter this unwelcome club.  

A third purpose for writing emerged over time. I found great value, if not enough time, in putting thoughts and experiences in writing.  Blogging was a cathartic release of sadness, shock, frustration and gratitude.  Writing was a way to document the nastiness and cruelty of Alzheimer’s disease, my admiration for Marcia and the truly inspiring way she dealt with a dignity robbing, life taking disease, a recognition of the strength of our kids and the unspeakable selflessness of my family, friends and acquaintances near and far.

I’m writing now to put some closure to our family’s journey and to communicate to anyone who might read this post that there (is, can and should be) life after Alzheimer’s.  While Marcia was sick, my caregiving role was to take care of her and protect her dignity as best I could.  It was exhausting trying to balance caregiving with working and parenting, yet we managed to get through it with few regrets.  I find my role today to make sure Marcia’s life and memory lives on, especially with our kids, while trying as best I can to shepherd our lives into a future of meaningful purpose, optimism, and happiness.  For me and my kids, our lives have not stagnated since losing Marcia.  I dislike the term “moving on”, but life around us certainly has and we’ve had no choice but to adjust to a new life.  We have accepted the reality that Alzheimer’s took Marcia from us and time doesn’t stand still.  The fact is, we are no longer caregiving and coping with all the stresses associated with that.  Our kids have their whole lives in front of them and they are taking steps to prepare for adulthood, and I hope to have 30 or so years ahead of me too.  And wallowing in sorrow without doing meaningful things with our lives would not only be a waste but would be putting the brakes on what Marcia was helping us do while she was here.

We are approaching the third anniversary of Marcia’s death, perhaps a long overdue time to write about how our children are doing and how I am doing.  We have lived through many “anniversaries” over the last three years:  her last day in our house (3/11), the day we placed her in a long-term care facility (3/16), the day we decided to put her in hospice care (3/29) and the day she passed away (4/7).  While these are dates I don’t want to forget, with the passage of time the good memories seem to take center stage and the more difficult times seem to fade. 

So how are we doing now?  In the nearly three years since Marcia passed away, I’ve lost my job and retired for a year, unretired to work with a friend and former boss as a consultant, (re)met a wonderful woman and got married!  I’ve seen my former life (work, marriage and social life) completely turn over.  The only constant is my kids, and they aren’t really kids any more, having the audacity to grow up.

I worked for a company where the people were amazingly supportive and compassionate.  While I was “let go” during a major reorganization (before Marcia passed away), I was kept around to help out with an integration and reach “retirement age”.  My gratitude for my former employer and those that helped keep me around is off the charts.  Work, and the people I worked with were one part of my life that helped me survive the devastation of Alzheimer’s Disease.

The social life Marcia and I shared has mostly dried up and disappeared and a new, different one is emerging.  This is not meant to be an indictment on anyone but me.  I found that my social life was really Marcia’s.  Our friends were more my “friends-in-laws”.  Wonderful people that I loved and still love dearly.  It just seems life moved on and I didn’t do enough to keep that old life alive.  This was not a conscious decision on my part as I’m not entirely sure if I had to move on, or if my new life just nudged me in that direction.  I still see this community often and enjoy every moment.  It’s more that life has taken me and those we used to socialize with in different directions based on our current events and activities.

As Alzheimer’s progressed, I found myself in the role of a single parent even before Marcia passed away and my inadequacies (real and perceived) were more noticeable.  Marcia was just better at some things than I was/am.  Whether I’ve been hard on myself as a parent or not, I’ve felt my kids have been short changed by not having two parents to draw from.  Nothing in my life has made me feel quite so inadequate given the responsibility of being a parent.  When Marcia was first diagnosed, her biggest concern around her diagnosis was not her fate, but not being there for our kids.  And they’ve lived the disadvantaged life of a one parent household during such important times in their development and formative years.  My parenting and my kids’ growing up has been a source of many sleepless nights for me!

Finally, there’s Karen, my new wife and longtime friend!  Karen and I have known each other since 1979 when we were college freshman.  We met as a result of her friendship with a girl I went to high school with.  Karen was always a special friend, though we never dated, and we maintained contact throughout the years, mostly via Christmas cards and birthday acknowledgements.  I started dating Karen several months after Marcia passed away and we married last August.  Karen lived outside of Philadelphia, where my daughter goes to college and we met for lunch one day after I dropped her off at school.  Was this a date?  It was “just” lunch, but it almost turned into dinner too.  Then we met in New Hope, PA for dinner a week or so later.  And we found ourselves meeting weekly in New Hope, here in New Jersey or close to Karen’s home in PA.  Was I ready to date?  I wasn’t even close to jumping into the dating pool.  My priorities were very much tied to my kids in the aftermath of Marcia’s death.  But sometimes things happen that aren’t planned.  I hadn’t had much adult company in the months leading up to this day and I not only enjoyed having something to do but enjoyed having someone to talk to.  The ease of talking to Karen that day was special and just like it was in college.   

Karen had been following this blog and was well aware of Marcia’s illness.  She was sensitive to what I’d been through and what I needed to go through, and what I needed to do for my kids.  While I don’t know this for sure, I truly believe Karen saved me.  She was always easy for me (an introvert) to talk to and our relationship was just so natural.  But she came back into my life when I found myself outside looking in on the social circles of the town I had lived in for 21 years.  Spending time with Karen was something I looked forward to and kept me from the life of isolation I almost seemed to seek.  We spent most of our time together relatively close to my home, which made it easier for me to be around when my son needed me to be home, one of many sacrifices Karen made to make getting together possible.

Karen and my kids had an instant connection and she’s been a phenomenal presence in my kids’ lives.  She’s made great sacrifices to be with ME.  She’s moved from Pennsylania to NJ, uprooting her life (and those of her two dogs), has a very long commute for work and is living in the same house Marcia and I shared for 21 years.  She’s been very understanding of the need to keep life as normal as possible for my son and her sacrifices don’t go unnoticed.  Karen has made an unreasonable need of mine, acceptable.  But more than anything else, she has shown me love and happiness I wasn’t sure I’d find again.  I’m grateful to her and for her and she has given me hope and is the one I’m excited to share my future with.  We look forward to moving in a year or so to a place where we can build “our life” together.

My kids are doing very well.  My daughter has had two impressive co-op job experiences and is just starting her third while getting close to her undergraduate degree in Physics with a minor in math.  She’s certified to teach some of the same fitness classes Marcia used to teach and impressed me every day with her maturity and accomplishments. 

My son is one semester away from high school graduation and has a pretty nice selection of colleges to choose from for the fall, is playing lacrosse, has worked part time and has a really good group of friends that have been there for him through Marcia’s illness and her passing.  Both have weathered a storm no kid should have to experience without any big detours.  I’m not sure they have grieved as they might eventually grieve.  Are the difficulties they have faced or are facing just normal teenage/early 20’s issues, or are they magnified by losing their mom, watching her brain become infantile and her body fail?  It’s hard to say, and it’s probably why I worry as much as I do.  They have struggled at various times, yet their strength is evident and they are a constant source of inspiration and pride for me.  They are becoming adults, they laugh and enjoy life and are planning for their futures.  Both are “normal” kids in different stages of life without Marcia.  It’s still very hard for my son to talk about his mom, and I suspect and hope this will change over time.  My daughter does a lot to honor Marcia and to support our fight to end Alzheimer’s in their lifetime. 

We have found a new normal, and it’s better and worse than the old one.  And for the length of this post, one might assume I’ve got things all figured out.  Not even close!  I believe figuring things out is a lifelong pursuit and new lessons and thoughts come about all the time.  But I have resolved to make the most of my life, while treasuring the wonderful memories of my past that have shaped me into the person I am.  I have committed time and resources to fight Alzheimer’s Disease and find a cure in my lifetime to honor Marcia and to be a part of a solution that will hopefully impact millions of people.  While I don’t know if this is my “purpose”, I do know it’s a passion that won’t fade until a cure is found.  I know there is so much of life to experience, and I hope to do so seeing the positives of life, while minimizing the ugly, unpleasant world around us.  I accept that I am still a little lost in who I am and what I should be, but I’m happy and grateful I have two amazing kids, a supportive family and friends and a wonderful wife (and her family) to explore an optimistic future.

I don’t intend to write anything more here.  For those that come to a site like this to learn about Early Onset Alzheimer’s, I hope this is helpful.  If you come here to learn how to take the pain away from a life with Alzheimer’s, I wish I had some magic words that could solve the problems you are facing, but the only magic words, “see your doctor for your path to a cure” don’t yet exist.  However, I believe that the Alzheimer’s journey doesn’t mean the end for everyone affected.  Someday there will be a cure, or at the very least a treatment.  But one can find happiness again.  I know I have!

4 comments:

  1. Here is a great herbal doctor who cured me of Hepatitis B. his name is Dr. Imoloa. I suffered Hepatitis B for 11 years, I was very weak with pains all over my body my stomach was swollen and I could hardly eat. And one day my brother came with a herbal medicine from doctor Imoloa and asked me to drink and I drank hence there was no hope, and behold after 2 week of taking the medicine, I started feeling relief, my swollen stomach started shrinking down and the pains was gone. I became normal after the completion of the medication, I went to the hospital and I was tested negative which means I’m cured. He can also cure the following diseases with his herbal medicine...lupus, hay fever, measles, dry cough, diabetics hepatitis A.B.C, mouth ulcer, mouth cancer, bile salt disease, fol ate deficinecy, diarrhoea, liver/kidney inflammatory, eye cancer, skin cancer disease, malaria, chronic kidney disease, high blood pressure, food poisoning, parkinson disease, bowel cancer, bone cancer, brain tumours, asthma, arthritis, epilepsy, cystic fibrosis, lyme disease, muscle aches, cholera, fatigue, muscle aches, shortness of breath, alzhemer's disease, acute myeloid leukaemia, acute pancreatitis, chronic inflammatory joint disease, Addison's disease back acne, breast cancer, allergic bronchitis, Celia disease, bulimia, congenital heart disease, cirrhosis, constipation, fungal nail infection, fabromyalgia, (love spell) and many more. he is a great herbalist man. Contact him on email; drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com. You can also reach him on whatssap- +2347081986098.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My name is hoover, my 18 years old daughter, Tricia was diagnosed of herpes 3 years ago. ever since then,we have been going from one hospital to the other. We tried all sorts of pills but all efforts to get rid of the virus was futile. The blisters kept on reappearing after some months. My daughter was making use of Acyclovir tablets 200mg. 2 tablets every 6hours and fusitin cream 15grams. and H5 POT. Permanganate with water to be applied 2x a day but all still show no result. So I was on the internet some months back, to sought for any other means of saving my only child. just then, i came across a comment on dr imoloa herbal treatment and decided to give it a try. i contacted the him and he prepared some herbs and sent it to me together with guidelines on how to use the herbs through DHL courier service. my daughter used it as directed dr imoloa and in less than 14days, my daughter regained her health.. You should contact Dr imoloa today directly on his email address for any kind of health challenge; lupus disease,  mouth ulcer,  mouth cancer, body pain, fever, hepatitis A.B.C.,   syphilis,  diarrhea,  HIV/AIDS,  Huntington's Disease,   back acne,  Chronic renal failure,   addison disease,  Chronic Pain,   Crohn's Disease,   Cystic Fibrosis,  Fibromyalgia,   Inflammatory Bowel Disease,  fungal nail disease, Lyme Disease, Celia disease, Lymphoma, Major Depression,  Malignant Melanoma,   Mania,  Melorheostosis,   Meniere's Disease,  Mucopolysaccharidosis , Multiple Sclerosis,  Muscular Dystrophy,  Rheumatoid Arthritis, Alzheimer's Disease, parkison disease, vaginal cancer, epilepsy,  Anxiety Disorders, Autoimmune Disease,   Back Pain,  Back Sprain,   Bipolar Disorder,  Brain Tumour,  Malignant,   Bruxism, Bulimia,  Cervical Disk Disease, cardiovascular disease, Neoplasms, chronic respiratory disease,  mental and behavioural disorder,     Cystic Fibrosis,   Hypertension, Diabetes, asthma,  Inflammatory autoimmune-mediated arthritis.  chronic kidney disease, inflammatory joint disease,  impotence,  feta alcohol spectrum,  Dysthymic Disorder,   Eczema, tuberculosis,  Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, constipation, inflammatory bowel disease.  and many more; contact him on email- drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com./ also on  whatssap-+2347081986098.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was diagnosed with ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease) when I was 46 years old 2 years ago. The Rilutek (riluzole) did very little to help. The medical team did even less. My decline was rapid and devastating. my arms weakened first, then my hands and legs. Last year, a family friend told me about DOCTOR JAMES Herbal mix medicine and its effectiveness in treating lALS , I contacted him. and ordered for his herbal mix medicine, i was happy to report the treatment effectively treated and reversed my Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), most of the symptoms stopped, i was  able to walk and eat well, sleep well and exercise regularly., i'm  pretty active now and my attitude is extremely positive.i joyfully recommend you to DR.JAMES  because health is wealth this is a very bad experience with those living with ALS  or any other diseases like Shingle,schizophrenia,Bipolar, Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Cancer,Scoliosis,Bladder Cancer,Colorectal Cancer,Breast Cancer,Kidney Cancer,Leukemia,Lung Cancer,Skin Cancer,Uterine Cancer,Prostate Cancer,Fibromyalgia,a
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease, Diabetes ,Coeliac disease, Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpes,Inflammatory bowel disease ,Copd,Diabetes  please do not hesitate to contact him on his Email  Drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter (Annabel) suffered from schizophrenia for 5 years. I had no idea what was happening and didn’t know where to turn for help. It was hard then because I really didn’t understand the symptoms earlier until she was diagnosed. There was a time she decided to get away from everyone, I was not excluded. I had to sit and cry almost every day because I felt helpless as a single mother (she is all I have got). The anguish I went through taking care of her alone is beyond explanation because there was no support whatsoever from the dad or family members. I fought for proper medical care and humane treatment; I did everything within my reach to get her cured but all to no avail. Countless different medications was prescribed (Zyprexa, fluphenazine, Risperdal, quetiapine, etc.) that she was taking but all we could get was myriad of side effects such as rigidity, drowsiness, dizziness, tremors and restlessness which tends to worsen the already damaged situation. Frustration was the order of the day. I wrote a couple of messages to Ontario Mental Health Foundation for help because watching my daughter go through such was devastating. It was at this foundation someone shared a testimony about DR James herba mix medicine, how effective it is and how she went through the most difficult times of her life trying to help her mom fight Schizophrenia. Being that I was already at the verge of giving up because I just couldn't imagine waking up every morning to fight the same demons that left me so tired the night before. I had to contact the doctor,on his email  (drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com)  from our conversations; I was relieved and convinced that the result is going to be positive because I was made to contact people with worse cases. Today, the awful situation of my daughter has gone by. Her happy life is back. She is now a schizophrenia survivor and I am glad because my daily routine activities can now kick off without obstructions. Don't let Schizophrenia hinder you from living a desired life and also, never allow anyone to decide for you especially when they don't know what you have to go through to get to where you are. I was almost discouraged by the doctor but then, I remembered that: I have to shield my daughter’s destiny with courage, faith and perseverance because she is not in her right state of mind and that the bravery and freedom from fear is found in the ‘doing’. Her life is now a testimony. After my daughter got cured,from the herbal mix medicine Dr James prepared and sent to me, she said, Mom “I just thought, ‘Well, I’m a weirdo, I’ll never be normal, then I said, my daughter, life itself is a misery and we get stronger in the places we have been broken. Thanks to you Dr. James  for your excellent counseling, no more psychotic symptoms for the past 3 years and 4 months now. To know more about Dr.James and the effectiveness of his Herbs and roots extracts and he said he got cures for diseases like Bipolar,DIABETES, HPV,SHINGLES,CANCER, ALS, HEPATITIS B, KIDNEY DISEASE, HERPES, Ovarian Cancer,Pancreatic cancers, Bladder cancer,Skin cancer, Prostate cancer, Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Autism,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,psoriasis ,Tach Diseases,Lupus,Dementia.kidney cancer, lung cancer,. You can reach him on his Email at ... drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com.  I believe you will testify just like me

    ReplyDelete